AroundAHound Crafter Profile

This weeks profile is on the very busy Helen from AroundAHound...lover of all things poochy!  Find out all about her crafty journey!



AroundAHound...what an awesome name, tell us about yourself!


The name AroundAHound came about, as I was trying to think up something catchy, not too wordy, and that related to dogs wearing collars (the 'Around' bit), and at the time, specifically Sight Hounds (Greyhounds, Whippets etc), hence the 'Hound' bit!  The AroundAHound logo was created by a friend of mine, the dog's head in the logo is our old Greyhound, Arrow.

As for me, I'm Helen, I live with my husband in Auckland, with our cat Jerry, Snoopy the foxie x pointer (pictured below modelling one of her many collars), and our newest addition to our family is Rocky - he's a four month old puppy, of unknown breeding, a real 'South Auckland special'.  All three of our animals are rescued, and I work full time for the SPCA too.


*Snoopy is GORGEOUS Helen, we're so happy that the power of the internet brought her home to you!!!!  

What inspired you to craft for our Four Legged Friends?

AroundAHound began in September 2010, as we owned a Greyhound at the time, and I wasn't able to find a martingale collar in New Zealand for him, though there are thousands available overseas...  So I thought, why not have a go at making some myself, so I put my first order in for hardware and all the pieces I needed from the States.  To begin with I only made the 1.5" and 2" wide collars specifically for Greyhounds, they proved to be so popular though, so I started doing the smaller collars, and later on the tag collars and leads as well.
It's a lot of fun making collars and I love seeing pictures of my customers modeling their new attire!

What's your most favourite thing you ever made?
The favourite collar I've made, was a costume collar as a gift for a friend's dog.  It was a 2" wide collar made of royal blue Oriental silk for a Great Dane by the name of Honey, the collar was quite a challenge to make, the silk was slipping all over the show, and trying to get the piping in the right place was a fiddle.  Honey is a rather famous dog, she's even got her own website www.bighoneydog.com.  I've attached a photo of Honey modeling her collar.



What's new for 2012 for AroundAHound?
I'm in the process of brainstorming ideas for AroundAHound in 2012... I've got a couple up my sleeve, neither of which are collars, one is a summery idea and the other is definitely a wintery one... watch this space!


AroundAHounds nifty products are available through her website, her Facebook Page and of course through her Oh, For Crafts' Sake! Table!!!

Thanks Helen for sharing with us, its great to hear where people find their inspiration for their crafty journeys!


  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment