Odd One Out Crafter Profile

I'm loving getting to know our girls more!  Today we're meeting Niki from Odd One Out...this is one very clever lady with an eclectic range of very kitsch products!  I LOVE THEM!!





Odd One Out eh? Who's the talent behind the name?
Odd One Out is me! - Niki. I am a bit of a 'jack of all crafts'. I like to experiment with a bit of everything - you never know what you might see from me next. Mr Odd One Out is roped in to help quite often and is a whizz with a spray can. The resident un-helper is our energetic nearly three year old!

Unhelper!  That cracked me up,  I have TWO of those!


Where does the inspiration come from for your fabulous creations?
I get inspiration from just about anywhere. I love reading design books and I am addicted to blogs and Pinterest. My products usually stem from something I would like to have for myself or my home and I just cant find anywhere else. Because I am a huge collector of stuff (bordering on the crazy kind of collector!) Ideas sometimes originate from something I have a lot of - my 'blankie lamps' for example stemmed from a huge collection of vintage wool blankets that I thought needed thinning out a bit! With all of my work it is important to me that I up-cycle as much as possible and many new pieces sort of grow organically from the original vintage piece.



What do you love most about your craft?
I love that it is ever evolving - I get really bored doing the same thing all the time so it's great that I make a range of product. I love coming up with new ideas and trying out new craft techniques. I especially love painting and find it really relaxing, so illustrating my painted plates is something I get excited about every day! Something I also love dearly is selling my work at markets - I love seeing and hearing peoples reactions to my products and catching up with other wonderful craftistas!


You've got an eclectic product range, so what's your most favourite thing you ever made?
That is a really hard question to answer! Generally my favourites are my latest designs and I always think they are my best work until something new springs to mind. I really love to paint custom plates and recently had a challenging one where I had to copy a rather detailed tattoo design onto a plate - it was very hard but I was so happy with how it turned out. Another was a very difficult and very large blankie lamp that I made - it was so curvy and scalloped and it was a nightmare to fit it correctly. I was so excited when I finished (and relieved!) So I guess my favourites tend to be the ones that challenge me the most.



This is FABULOUS!!!!!  I bet she was thrilled!

You had a big year last year, so whats in store for Odd One Out in 2012?
It was a very big year - it was my first! In 2012 i'm really excited to grow this business a bit more and hopefully find some more time to work on it. I have a notebook FULL of new ideas to try. I plan on blogging more, finding some new retail stores to sell in and making my products more available online - watch this space, i'm super excited!

Follow the Odd One Out Blog, check out her website and her fabulous products can be found on Toggle, Felt and of course Oh, For Crafts' Sake!!


Thanks Niki, I love your work (for those that don't know, a custom Odd One Out creation adorns RedVixxon's LiteraryEnds table at each market) and wish I could fill my walls with it!!!  Good luck for all your wonderful plans this year, can't wait to see what you have in line!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment