Poppy&Bee Crafter Profile

Welcome to the first Oh, For Crafts' Sake! Crafter Profile!



Today we learn all about the fabulous crochet-artist, Poppy&Bee...RedVixxon put the hard questions to Natalie about her craft...here's what she has to say!



So, who IS Poppy&Bee?

Poppy&Bee is the hub of all things crochet-ey! My name is Natalie, and I’m addicted to all things crochet related. I sell my crocheted goodies, and also teach crochet classes. My business is named for my delightful children’s nicknames.

What do you love about your craft?

Oh, definitely the endlessnessnessness possibilities of what can be done with it! Someone once asked me what I could teach them, as wasn’t crochet just all about two stitches? So far from it – I just bought a stitch dictionary with 250 different styles of crochet stitch. And that’s not counting the variety of crochet techniques out there that I haven’t even learnt yet!

I love that it’s a little bit counter-cultural – knitting is what people know, and crochet seems to have some kind of an ‘edge’ in its 21st century revival. I like that.

Who taught you to Crochet?

I learnt the basics from my mother, and have in the last year taught myself the more complicated and intricate stuff. Thanks to the wonders of online bookstores I’ve been able to access texts from international crochet teachers and designers that were just not available before.

*RedVixxon LOVES that people learn their crafts from their mums!  What an awesome gift to give your kids!  

What’s the strangest place you've Crocheted???

Hehehe, there are some things that have to remain sacred. Bear in mind that nearly everything I make is to sell, I’m actually quite particular about where I ‘hook’. If you wouldn’t wear/use your crocheted item there, I won’t make it there. A clue to the most common places I crochet, they usually involve coffee.

I had a piece featured as part of a giant yarn bomb of the Devonport Wharf here in Auckland for the Rugby World Cup, The Woolly Walk Along – that was awesome. Got some more crochet graffiti planned for this year. But if I told you where it was I’d have to kill you.

What’s your most favourite thing you've ever made?

Wow. Good question. Each new thing I make that I’ve not done before has it’s moment of favouriteness. I was totally in love with my first ever earflaps hat that I made to sell. I had a very lovely lady commission matching hats for her and her wee daughter in lovely possum/merino/alpaca yarn – so special to make, and they looked even cuter on. I think they rank right up as my favourite sold item. Maybe my most satisfying thing was the Lavender Harvest Shawl I made for my great Aunty. It makes my heart sing when I see pictures of her in it.



So then, what does 2012 hold for Poppy&Bee?

Lots more classes – so many people have asked for classes to learn intermediate and advanced techniques, as well as wanting to learn to make specific things, such as Amigurumi, Granny Squares, garments and hats. I’m hoping to find a space in which to do more teaching, at this stage I’m going to people’s homes mostly. I’ve got an amazing circuit of handmade markets that I sell at, first up are the new Silo Markets at Wynyard Quarter, then starting in February my two favourites, Handmade Titirangi and Crafternoon-Tea. Oh, and a super wee online market, very chic - Oh, For Crafts’ Sake.



Natalie Ringland
Poppy&Bee Crochet Handcrafts


Poppy&Bee Online
Facebook for updates and news!
Poppy&Bee Blog

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment