Tiny Kiwi Crafter Profile


Today we hear from the lovely Emily from Tiny Kiwi...the craft bug well and truly bit this one hard!  She's the paper craft queen AND she sews!  Talented much???




So, tell me about Tiny Kiwi!
Tiny Kiwi came about quite by accident, as a by-product of my mother’s NZ Made clothing business.  She owns a factory here in Auckland, and a couple of years ago she launched her own range of ‘blank’ childrens clothing and I found myself on the receiving end of a huge pile of sample onesies and t-shirts.   I created a few cute appliquéd designs to put on them for my daughters to wear, and the next thing I knew I was taking orders from friends for unique designs for their kids and it has taken off from there.  These days, my mum holds the stock at her factory, and I place my orders with her for either a limited run of t-shirts such as my Summer Series Tees, or one-off made-to-order onesies and t-shirts in a huge range of colours, and all made from lovely stretch cotton and all made right here in NZ and decorated with a funky, colourful and exciting appliquéd design with a Kiwi flavour.

My true craft-love is card-making and scrapbooking, so last year I added unique homemade gift-cards to my range.  I have a selection of cards in stock to choose from, and I make-to-order as well.



I like to think that the appliquéd sewing work is of a similar “style” to my paper-craft, thereby tying the two together.

I occasionally make an appearance at Craft Markets, but mainly my business is conducted online (Tiny Kiwi on Facebook) and I have a blog at http://tinykiwicards.blogspot.com/

What do you love about your chosen craft?
I love the endless possibilities.  I love the huge range of options that are open in front of me, and narrowing down a theme, choosing co-ordinated colours, papers, buttons, ribbons and embellishments, and bringing it all together.  The result is different every time, and I never send out anything I’m not 100% happy with.  I love the challenge of creating something to meet somebody’s brief, and take satisfaction from delivering an end-product that makes someone happy.

I  L.O.V.E. shopping for supplies.  There is so much to choose from, and so much selection, its a daily struggle not to walk into the shop and buy one of everything!

How do you find the time for your craft when you're a full time mum as well?
With much difficulty!  Without a doubt, being a mum to young children is a 24/7 job.  Craft is something that I can do when they’re all tucked up in bed for the night, and I try to squeeze in a couple of hours each night, and keep my admin and web/email communications for during the daytime when the kids are napping or watching DVD’s or at kindy. 

They do like to come along and help me with shopping for supplies though!

What’s your most favourite thing you've ever made?
Oooh, thats a hard one! I don’t think I have a favourite, everything that leaves my desk is special to me, but for me personally its probably my cupboard full of scrapbook albums of my kids (which have been sadly neglected since I started this venture!).

If you could do any other craft, what would it be?
I would really love to be able to draw – I do a mean stick figure, but that’s as far as it goes. 

*I totally get this!  RedVixxon is HUGELY lacking in the artistic stakes...my sister got all those genes.  I can't even draw a stick figure, so you're one up on me!

What does 2012 hold for Tiny Kiwi?
For the past year I have been a member of a Stamp Club, where monthly I meet up with some other lovely ladies and spend an evening making fun projects and cards, and have a great night gossiping, drinking a wee glass of wine and munching out on yummy treats.  It’s the highlight of my month.  Our demonstrator is leaving town shortly, so this month I am signing up to become a demonstrator myself to take over the running of our Stamp Club, which means I will soon be able to offer in-home workshops for card-making and stamping to my lovely fellow crafters.  I have built up my own awesome collection of stock and supplies, so I look forward to being able to open up my goodie bag and let you all loose.  Of course there will be some fabulous stamping and card-making supplies available for purchase as well, and free gifts for the hostess when you host a workshop at your place.  Email me to find out more, on tinykiwi@vodafone.co.nz

*Ohhhhh!  Stamp Club sounds awesome!  Can't wait to share that with all our Oh, For Crafts' Sakers!!!

Thanks for sharing your crafty story with us, Emily!  

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS
Read Comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment